“Not thinking about anything is zen. Once you know this, walking, standing, sitting or lying down, everything you do is zen. To know that the mind is empty is to see the buddha.”
– Bodhidharma (5th century)
- Zazen means “sitting meditation.”
- It is being oneself, with nothing extra, in harmony with the way things are.
- It is the simple practice of looking directly at life as it is.
- It is being aware of one’s true feelings and thoughts in each moment.
- It is doing what Shakyamuni Buddha did under the Bodhi tree 2500 years ago. *
This brief description of zazen comes from the website of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association (SZBA): http://szba.org/soto-zen/how-to-meditate/
Article: Instructions on how to sit zazen